Wednesday 5 January 2011

Lost all his amethysts

The above URL (taken from a nonsense lyric from 'The legs of fifty spiders', a nonsense song penned by PCPUCS himself) has taken on a brilliant new meaning, one that I wish I had intended all along.

Apparently, the Ancient Greeks and Romans thought amethysts would protect them from drunkenness and wore them to prevent intoxication. According to Wikipedia, (and I hope I'm not being duped here) the word amethyst comes from the Ancient Greek 'amethystos', basically translated as 'not intoxicated'.

So the above title is saying my protection from inebriation is at zero. I have no chance, I'm done for. It would've been a little cooler if it was more like 'Threw away all his amethysts' - a more impassioned 'throw caution to the wind' kind of thing. But then I guess I probably lost the amethysts the last time I got drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment