Friday 17 December 2010

Scars

Today I was thinking about scars. When does a scar become a scar? When does it graduate from being a regular blemish to a lifelong scar? I'm not a dermatologist or anything so don't expect a particularly informed answer. 

I've had this mark on the back of my left hand for 84 days since accidentally stabbing myself with a pen during a card signing confrontation with my brother. I don't know whether to add it to my list of scars.

A few years ago I got one on my right arm when I burnt myself reaching into an oven to get a chip. It was touch and go whether it was going to stick and it was there for a good few months but it has since faded. 

My best scar is between my middle and annular fingers on my left hand. Apparently I got a nail stuck in there when I was a little but I don't remember it. I've had that one 20 years so that one's definitely on the list.

I'd say it takes 6 months for a scar to become official. Perhaps keep it on a probationary period until a year passes then you can mock up a certificate and put it in your logbook and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment