Thursday 21 June 2012

The war on booze


At breakfast I had a hangover, followed by cake. By noon I had drawn up a non-aggression pact and presented it to my own liver. He refused to sign, pouring scorn and bile over the olive branch.  The stomach muscled in and cut a deal for himself, promising to look into the ‘loose stool situation' in exchange for more cake.  I argued this would only fan the flames and besides, “don't the intestines have a say in this?” He muttered “bureaucracy” under his breath, which was good enough for me – I immediately began consuming Battenberg in alarming quantities.

By the spring we had annexed the liver and remilitarised weak areas of the spleen. By late June, and after bloody fighting in The Battle of Little Sphincter, the empire had encompassed the whole body. Every limb, every orifice. Every fibre, Every follicle. All of it within my control. I had to celebrate. I reached for dram of whiskey…

No comments:

Post a Comment